***

WE HAVE MOVED, PLEASE VISIT US AT OUR NEW HOME:

www.janeanesworld.com

SAME GREAT CONTENT, WONDERFUL NEW LOCATION

***

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bible in 90 Days, Day 4

Bible in 90 Days Day 4 Using the SOAP Method (Scripture, Observations, Application, Prayer)

Scripture

Genesis 40:12 to Genesis 50

 

Observations

40 Joseph interprets dreams and is told he will be remembered when his captors are free, but he is not

41 Joseph’s former cell mates remember him and tell Pharaoh that he can interpret dreams and Joseph interprets Pharaoh’s dreams and Joseph is rewarded

42 Joseph’s brothers come to him to buy grain and do not recognize him

43 Joseph’s brothers return to him again to buy grain and he feasts with them and they still do not recognize him

44 Joseph sets his baby brother up to appear as a thief in order to keep him in Egypt

45 Joseph reveals himself to his brothers and rejoices with them, Israel learns Joseph is alive and plans to go see Joseph in Egypt

46 Israel travels to Egypt to see Joseph

47 Israel comes to Egypt and he and his children are given good positions, the people of Israel give up their cattle and land to Egypt in exchange for food, Isreal(Jacob) asks to be buries with his people, not in Egypt

48 Jacob blesses Joseph’s children, and gives the younger the greater blessing as happened with Jacob and his elder brother Esau

49 The twelve tribes of Israel are described

50 Jacob dies and Joseph’s brothers become afraid, but Joseph comforts his brothers by saying "ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good" and Joseph dies

Application

There are so many parts of these passages that apply in my life. So many things that mirror my life and that I need to work on, pray about and deal with. I think the most applicable to day is the section dealing with how Joseph interpreted dreams for his fellow captors and was told he would be remembered when they were restored to power, but was not. It reminds me not of the sibling relationship, but of motherhood. Often we do things for our children, cook, clean, heal the sick, pray, homework, plan for fun, keep a home and so many other things and our children seem to think we do nothing at all. It does not change the fact that as mothers it is our job, obligation and duty to do these things. We are given our children as gifts from God and must do what we must for our children.

Our reward is that in the end we are remembered for our mothering duties. Just as at the end, the captor remembered Joseph and referred him to Pharaoh, our children will remember the work we put into taking them from crayons to perfume/cologne and thank us. As is it says in Proverbs, will can look forward to the day when our "children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also and he praiseth her." Proverbs 31:28 How interesting, often the Joseph story is thought of as a story about siblings, but as with many things in the Bible, there are numerous interpretations and lessons to be learned.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I thank you for allowing me to be the mother to four children. I thank you for the kindness you showed in giving me that gift. I thank you for giving me a cup of children that runneth over. I ask that you help me in my job of mother. Help me to be the kind of mother you want me to be. Please help me to improve where I need to be improve. Strengthen me where I am weak and make me more of what I am, but more of what I need to be. And as always, I will give you the praise, glory and the honor. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment