***

WE HAVE MOVED, PLEASE VISIT US AT OUR NEW HOME:

www.janeanesworld.com

SAME GREAT CONTENT, WONDERFUL NEW LOCATION

***

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The One that Got Away

In 1986 she was working two jobs trying to put herself through college and pay to live in Center City Philadelphia. She had the biggest chip on her shoulder I had ever seen and I did not know what to do with her. I liked her potential. She dreamed of getting married, having children and a successful law practice. But I did not know how she was going to get there with that big chip on her shoulder, the secret insecurities and fear of being on her own in the world. 

That girl was me at nineteen when I moved out of my mother's house and into my own little apartment in downtown Philadelphia. I remember moving out on my own and being scared because I did not know if I would be able to make it through life on my own. I was just a girl from West Philly who moved downtown and dreamed of being That Girl  from the old television show. I learned to smile even when things were HARD and I did not know how I was going to pay the rent, the electric and eat all at the same time. I learned to keep the chip on my shoulder hidden beneath my cheap little suit blazers. 

I have not been that scared young girl for a long time. I have grown up. I got the husband, the kids and the law practice. The scared girl I was turned into a brave wife and mother who has learned to fight her way through life with grace and gave away the shoulder chip. The scared little girl got away, but, I am glad she is gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment