***

WE HAVE MOVED, PLEASE VISIT US AT OUR NEW HOME:

www.janeanesworld.com

SAME GREAT CONTENT, WONDERFUL NEW LOCATION

***

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Serene Sunday - Panic for 5 Minutes Then Move

Serene Sunday - when things go wrong, find serenity by panicking for five minutes then get moving.

A few years ago, the TV show Lost was a major hit, watched by millions of viewers across the United States and the world.  One scene from that television show had a profound and lasting impact on me. The young doctor who would become a hero on the show told a story about his first surgery when he was scared and panicked. He said he gave himself five seconds to panic, to be afraid and then he forced himself to get up and get back to work.

Lost main title.svg
I liked that idea and have used it many times in my life. When I was afraid one of my children was about to die, I was upset and allowed myself time to panic. I did not try to stop the panic. I panicked, I cried and I was upset. Then I put on my big girl panties, sucked it up and started praying and listening to the doctors to figure out how to keep my daughter alive.  The panic, the upset, the fear was necessary for me to get to where I needed to be.

Just as the panic was necessary, so was the next part. I had to put on my big girl panties and move. My fear and inaction would not save my daughter's life. Sitting and blindly relying on the doctor, a doctor who is loved by my family, was not going to get me to where I needed to be. Prayer is my safety net, my strength and my refuge. As a Christian woman, I believe in the power of prayer. I also believe that God gives each person talents and gifts for a reason. So, my daughter's pediatrician was given talent to heal for a time when she would need it to care for my child. Panic had to be pushed aside so that I could pray and get mentally and spiritually ready for what was to come.

:)
Long story short, my daughter was healed and five years have passed since that horrible day. I still use the panic and pull on the big girl panties method.  It has worked for me on numerous occasions. I recommend it highly. There you have it, my method for dealing with panic and extreme stress. So the question for you this Serene Sunday is what do you do to find serenity when panic is staring you in the face?

No comments:

Post a Comment