***

WE HAVE MOVED, PLEASE VISIT US AT OUR NEW HOME:

www.janeanesworld.com

SAME GREAT CONTENT, WONDERFUL NEW LOCATION

***

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Terrific Tuesday - Why Use Technology When It Fails


Terrific Tuesday - it is terrific to have technology that helps us keep our lives in order.
Recently, for no reason at all, through no fault of my own, the hard drive on my laptop computer decided to stop working and I had to send my computer back to the manufacturer for service. I used that computer to write my blog, run my calendar, keep track of business matters and keep up with my children. I am proud that when the hard drive died, I remained calm, did not cry. I was okay because I had backups in the cloud, on CD, SD card and flash drives. Each Terrific Tuesday throughout the month of December I will be exploring what to do when your technology fails. Over the course of the next few weeks, we will be looking at what to do when the following pieces of technology fail
  • computer
  • smart phone
  • tablet
This Terrific Tuesday is all about why you should use technology even though it fails in action.


photo credit: jurvetson via photopin cc  Terrific Tuesday, technology, day planner, lost, break

This is an important topic to master because the truth of the matter is that all technology fails sometimes. When technology fails, the results can be tragic. I got the idea to do this series listening to my husband and the death of my laptop hard drive.  I saw a bunch of problems I had to figure a way to solve, my husband saw a blogging series. Apparently he really does pay attention to what goes on here at Janeane's World.
I am a technology nut. I mean I really enjoy having a bunch of pieces of technology to play with, I mean with which to do my work. I used to organize my life. Throughout the year I would get catalogues from the Franklin Covey company and drool over accessories, extra organizing forms  and new calendar sheets. Near the end of each year I would skip over to the Franklin Covey store at an area mall and pick out a whole new everything. It was pure joy. Then I would meticulously use the day planner to plan out my year. Each day I would get a huge amount of satisfaction by crossing off some tasks and moving others to another day. It was wonderful. Until . . . until the day I could not find the day planner on my way out of the house to go to court.
I was on my way to meet a client at bankruptcy court and I could not find my day planner. I tore the house apart but could not find it anywhere. I was so upset! My calendar for the year, my notes about meetings, all my phone numbers were in that book. I made pocketbook decisions based on what could hold my day planner.  The day I lost that day planner and had to go off to work without it I knew I had to find something else. For me the something else was an electronic PDA that could fit in my pocket and sync up with my computer. That way even if the PDA  got lost, all my info was on the computer, it was not gone forever.


Terrific Tuesday, technology, day planner, lost, break


To me, people who refuse to use technology to organize their lives and stick only to the pen and paper stuff are like people who won't use a microwave, a computer, or electricity. Those are cute ideas in the abstract, but really keep you out of touch with the modern world. Technology dies, this is true. But, pens run out of ink, pencil points break and day planners get lost into your children's toy boxes for three weeks without your knowledge. All these things are facts of life. So, the question for you this Terrific Tuesday is what technology do you use to keep your life running smoothly?





No comments:

Post a Comment